A man working on electric lines outside Westside Regional Medical Center in Plantation was burned Tuesday, a city official said.
The employee of contractor Gaylor Electric was shocked and badly burned after he cut into a pipe holding wires that deliver power to the hospital, said Joel Gordon, battalion chief for Plantation Fire Department.
The emergency room staff brought the injured man into the hospital that is at 8201 W. Broward Blvd. A Broward Sheriff’s helicopter then flew him to Kendall Regional Medical Center in Miami, Gordon said.
The fire department was called for the flash fire and resulting smoky conditions. A section of Northwest 84th Avenue that leads to the entrance to the emergency room was briefly closed, Gordon said.
There were no other injuries. The hospital is relying on a generator to power the facility, and Gordon said the emergency room was not shut down at any time.
A spokesperson for either Westside Regional Medical Center or Gaylor Electric could not immediately be reached for comment.
This story will be updated; check back for more information.