Is housing a human right or a commodity? Or both?
That's the focus of a special CBC Vancouver forum on housing, to coincide with our podcast series SOLD!, which details how British Columbia's real estate market became so overheated and overpriced.
CBC has teamed up with Fairchild Radio to bring you Wednesday's townhall from the Brighouse United Church in Richmond, B.C., which will be moderated by Stephen Quinn, host of The Early Edition.
Watch the forum live starting at 7:29 p.m. PT.
CBC will also provide streaming in Cantonese and Mandarin.
If you want to attend the forum in person, you can register to attend here.
Panellists at the forum include:
- Mark Ting, CBC weekly financial columnist for On The Coast
- Tsur Somerville, Senior Fellow, UBC Centre for Urban Economics and Real Estate
- Patsy Hui, Realtor
- Tom Davidoff, Economics Professor at the Sauder School of Business, UBC
- Tung Chan, former CEO of S.U.C.C.E.S.S and Vancouver City Councilor
- Erin Seeley, Executive Officer, Real Estate Council of BC
- Josh Gordon, Assistant Professor at the School of Public Policy, SFU
- Jon Stovell, President, Reliance Properties
- Kira Gerwing, Manager of Community Investment, Vancity
- May So, Associate, Henriquez Partners Architects
- Justin Fung, Housing Action for Local Taxpayers
If you are interested in housing affordability, check out CBC's new podcast, SOLD! Host Stephen Quinn explores how foreign investment in real estate divides community, class and culture. Find it at CBC Podcasts or Apple Podcasts.